Friday, April 26, 2013

On the distractibility of husbands


So, the sun has been shining for a good week, the weather is warm and balmy and we have an entire house to pack up ready for our imminent move. Suddenly I notice that Legoman has been absent from the packing chaos for some time and is nowhere to be found. Then over the hum of the washing machine, I pause with the packing tape dispenser mid roll and hear the sound of thudding from the back deck. And yes, the house does appear to be shaking somewhat. It appears that Legoman could restrain himself no longer and he and Roboboy have started demolishing our deck. Two weeks before we move out.


Within the hour the Menace brothers arrive armed with hammers and crowbars and expressions of evil boy glee on their faces. They have been waiting for this day for months and answered the call of duty in record speed. They mate who was having a sleepover was dragged over as well, nothing better than random children in my yard wielding deadly weapons, with uncertain vaccination status and of course, parents who are lawyers. Needless to say, I was on high alert for the next few hours. Not to mention my valid concern that I would hang out a load of washing and discover that the entire back wall of my house had been ripped off with over enthusiastic gusto.


So after a few clear rules as to what could be ripped off and what needed to be left intact until after we move out, instructions on how to deal with all those rusty nails and the biggest Menace on Liongirl duty, I retreated to pack some boxes.


The boys (and men) were like pigs in mud. See that happy face.


Best of all we were able to take most of the wood to a mates place who is going to reuse it for his chook run. And that meant lots of rides in the garden wagon.


Now they are all excitedly plotting when they can pull the rest of it down. Me, I'm just packing up the entire house, you know, the work that actually needs to be done now, vs the fun but completely unnecessary jobs.  Men. Anyone else have a distractible husband?


18 comments:

  1. I love the way you write things Mel I always have a chuckle. I do indeed have a very distractible husband who always finds odd jobs and the like so he go under the house into his domain and leave me doing all those fun things upstairs, yes men;) I hope the packing goes well this weekend and you get some helping hands. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....I have an ensuite that is not finished after almost 11 years...today my middle girl says daddy I want a dolls house, tonight it is cut out and ready to put together tomorrow...hows that for distraction....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know this so well....unfindable, now I know thats not an actual word, but that best describes Mr Bea when any actual DIY is needed! He soon distracts himself with other mindless stuff! But alas there is a paintbrush waiting for him this weekend, I'll lock all the doors so he can't actually leave the house until its done!
    It's a good job you stepped in when you did, you'd have been sleeping under the stars! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are all like this. But look on the bright side, it's better he's distracted by some decking than the ladies, surely...? Although still very irritating for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both get a bit distracted at times l'm afraid...particularly when it comes to getting the atv and driving down in the forest to get the wood. And the stacking...love the whole thing, time flies...until one of my sons comes out and groans "mum l'm soo hungry!" :-) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! This happens around here as well. Shame the same enthusiasm is not put in the construction phase... Destruction and piles of rubble seem to make boys happier! Good luck with packing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that i have found you in blog world and yes this does happen here a lot! it's normally some musical demand though which leaves me wielding weapons to keep kids in control plus extras whilst hubby plays piano!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Priceless! Yes, I am surrounded by men/boys with poor focus and also selective hearing. Love that you have the menace brothers next door. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine did the same thing with the old kitchen. It was crow bars and hammers and boots- oh my! I just came from a friend's house whose 14 year old son has built the coolest bedhead out of recycled decking palings.
    Will you be getting a new coop too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a long list of things that Mr H has to finish for me. Cycling, golfing etc always distract him. So this week I'm calling in "hire a hubby" watch this space! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes!
    It never ceases to amaze me that the jobs that he thinks are crucial are not even on my radar.
    Right after Toddler C was born he went through a new Daddy crisis and felt the need to plant trees...he would disappear down to the back yard to dig holes and plant trees.
    Watch this space...in ten years he will be disappearing down to the back yard to dig up the jungle that has grown there.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol at least you got to pack in peace. so great to have keen labourers next door! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Men, kids - same, same. They're all for helping around the house, just not the stuff that needs doing. (The kids do look like they had fun though!). xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, yes that happy face is familiar face here too Mel. I live with a Mr 80% - he does 80% of a job in a super efficient manner with sole focus on the task at hand and then gets distracted by numerous completely trivial tasks during the final 20% - it's quite excruciating. But I guess the deck is one less thing to do when you move back in and he probably thinks he's 'helping' you pack the boxes because he's entertaining the kids? x

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are all the same....men that is!
    Your home is so cute, where have i been that I didn't know you were moving? I have been so busy working with Phil finishing up on the house we've been working on this winter.....soon to be done!
    Your little sweeties always make me smile! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mr is a goer Mel. I'm impressed he has the kids in on it too. I'd much rather be packing in peace, but I understand..priorities yes. Very exciting times ahead for you. Hope it all comes to fruition as you planned. Leax

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also didn't know you were moving? Just a temporary renovation move? i have some catching up to do...x

    ReplyDelete
  18. At least he kept the kids occupied for a while. So excited for you, hope it's not too stressful though.

    ReplyDelete