Saturday, October 8, 2011

Birthdays and new discoveries


It was Feng Shui Nonna's birthday  yesterday so we took her somewhere she had never been before for a delicious afternoon tea with a view. Despite having lived in Brisbane almost my whole life, I had never once been up to the top of this mountain ten minutes from where I live. Mt Gravatt mountain not only has the best view of the city, the ocean and several islands off the east coast, it also has a playground, a cafe with panoramic views and multiple geocaches.


Amazingly, Nonna had never been up here either and she was suitably impressed. A light breeze, birdsong and a verandah table to kick back and soak up the atmosphere and afternoon tea.


Don't forget the sticker mosaics to keep everyone busy and therefore quiet.


And after the big play in the playground a little explore of the native garden. Liongirl only recently discovered the joy of a good dandelion.


We love our Nonna so much, Happy happy day mum.



The Echidna Magic Cafe is at 185 Shire Rd Mt Gravatt and opened last year as a direct result of Indigenous Group First Contact receiving a government grant to establish the cafe as well as undertake hospitality training and provide employment opportunities to local disadvantaged and indigenous youth.

11 comments:

  1. It looks like a beautiful spot Mel. I've never heard of it either before and like you have lived in or near Brissy my whole life. The views look as lovely as when you go to Mt Cootha:) Thank you for sharing this new place I'll have to remember this next time we have a family picnic. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory day and that last pic is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures. Your kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did Liongirl put together her own outfit? She's done it again if she did...she's looking gorgeous as usual.
    Looks like a great spot Mel. Funny how something lovely can be right under our nose yet take us so long to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos of your mum and kids! What a beautiful spot to celebrate a birthday!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a terrific find! A newly discovered place for a relax is always good and that looks like a gem of a spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to take my lot there for a drive. The cafe will probably have a sudden influx of visitors and none of us will recognise each other as your tour group. I will be the one with a flower in my hat just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are fantastic and so precious (as usual), and that cafe sounds like a fabulous idea- definitely a venture that should be supported and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely,I wish sticker mosaics were around when my kids were little. You are one organised mumma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Your kids have a Nonna too? Ours have a Nanna and a Nonna. It looks like your kids adore her :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been up there for ages. I knew a cafe had opened up but I always forget to keep in mind. Thanks for the reminder. Are you on the southside? I always assumed you were on the north? Take that as a compliment. Ha! xx

    ReplyDelete