Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cherries and pears for inspiration


Well there has been much busyness over here at Betsy's. I decided to start chopping up this vintage seersucker cherry tablecloth for my first project. It has some mild fading and a few holes so no stress over carving up this one. A few of you expressed distress over the proposed cutting up of vintage sheets. When they are completely pristine, I too would think twice. But several in my stash have got patchy fading or holes or just thinning in the middle of the sheet, so no hesitation.

See if you can guess what I started making today. There is a little clue. I wanted to start with something super easy with minimal stuff up potential. The best thing about conquering ones sewing machine issues is  that it completely justifies ones vintage pattern collection. I have been hoarding  collecting kids patterns for ages, usually they are around 50 cents each. I love all those 60's and 70's short dresses and Maryjane shoes in pastel lollipop colours.

Popped into the oppie near school and look what I found. It has a tiny almost invisible crack on one scallop of the edge so it was $5. Pears are just a work of art in my opinion. The kids were banned from eating this installation yesterday until I had taken a good photo. Roboboy keeps calling them Rosella pears, when they are actually Corella pears - he has a real thing for native Australian birds, particularly the colourful ones.



And I haggled over this one. Op shop prices sometimes are just crazy. This tablecloth had bad staining all around the edge and would never return to tabletop glory. So not worth $7.50 so haggled down to $5 as I could already picture it sewn into a bag.


And how about finishing up with a vintage sheet of the day.



7 comments:

  1. Your sheets are lovely! Just because some of us are scared to cut doesn't mean you shouldn't have sewing adventures. If I could get my machine fixed and think of something worth making I'd be following right behind! The colours in that big floral are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go for it. I love the vintage patterns as well. However I seem to never get lucky in finding any. Yes please cut p those sheets and make something fabulous with those lovely sheets and post pictures.
    adayinthelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, I actually started sewing with sheets as a practise run before making the "real thing" in some fabric from spotlight or somewhere similar... Then one day I realised that the tide had turned, and I was more attached to my vintage florals, and they were that much harder to replace!! Once they are gone you don't know if you will ever see that same pattern again. BUT I am not tryig to talk you out of it!! NO way!! You have to LOVE what you are working with, or you won't give your project the attention it deserves to get it made right!! Have fun!! I am really looking forward to seeing what you end up making. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been MIA for a while so here goes in no particular order-love your vintage washing, the new camera photos are beautiful,very clever geocache spot,can't wait to see what you make with the cherries,love liongirl's dress,the daily sheet photo sounds fab,my sewing machine was a freebie from my Mum and I too have the sewing phobia thanks to my grade 8 teacher and oppys are getting too expensive.Done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing what you make.I find it hard to cut sheets(you saw my sheet bloomers didnt you?) But If I am abe to get 2 of the same sheet I cut up one and keep the other win, win lol.
    You must have a crazy priced opshop the dearest sheets here was $4.50 (well so far)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your sewing space Mel. You find the best stuff in the op shops. Haven't found anything on the road yet. Looking forward to seeing your bag, that print is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mel! I love this large floral. The colours are great too. I'm really liking the bigger florals and bold designs atm...It'll make a great bag.

    ReplyDelete