Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mulberry magic


I have a very dear friend who has known me since we were in grade 8 together and she has has this incredible   knack of being able to choose gifts that are always spot on perfect. I cannot think of a single gift she has bought me that I did not love and this is quite amazing as my tastes are quite eclectic. I would not want to buy gifts for me. Partly as I also am a terrible liar and if I don't like something it's unfortunately usually written all over my face. So when she bought me this tree for a housewarming present, she exceeded all my expectations. Not only a tree, but a dwarf mulberry tree at that.  This is what it looked like about 12 months ago when we planted it.


Back then it didn't even reach the top of the fence and Roboboy was the taller one. Amazing what a year and lots of rain can do. We certainly we not expecting this bumper crop to greet us when we arrived back from our farm jaunt.


Even more amazing was the fact that the possums appear to not have a taste for them. Same could not be said for us.


Our lovely little housewarming tree came from Daley's Fruit Farm who specialize in tropical and subtropical fruit trees, and they even deliver from Northern NSW. Pop over here for a spot of internet tree shopping, my personal favourite kind of shop.



Needless to say, the little tree has already been picked clean but that has not stopped me from dreaming about next years crop. I am thinking mulberries and cream, mulberry jam and warm mulberry mash on pancakes.

9 comments:

  1. Yum! my kids would go bonkers over those berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift.
    You need some pet silkworms. They are wonderful to watch. A great learning experience and you'll have a fresh supply of mulberry leaves to pick for them each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! the scent of mulberries is in the air in brisbane! i'm salivating looking at all of your lovely ripe ones :) I'm amazed at what quick growers they are - our black mulberry is double my height since we planted it in January - but our white mulberry has barely budged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you might be needing some silk worms to go with that tree! That's the only type of leaf they eat and we've got a lot of silkworms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous gift - one that keeps giving! I bet those mulberries tasted good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous and thoughtful gift. You should grow some silk worms - a fun thing for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking silk worms too. I have great memories of having them as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I want to paint with that colour... all over my face!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love mulberries, love friends that know you so well:) That photo of roboboy captures mulberries perfectly. x

    ReplyDelete