Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pinwheeling with crafty pals


Well I might have wigged out on daily blog posts, but look, true to my word I have managed to sew something to completion before the end of the month. Woohoo! It is a little wonky and the hand stitching could definitely be better but I love it. Op shop spotties fabric on one side, and favourite vintage sheet on the other and  an hour or two later you have a pinwheel pincushion.


And that gorgeous much less wonky blue one is from one of the gals in my new crafty gang. I had been spouting off to practically anyone I ran into that I really wanted to be part of a craft group and lo and behold a few mums from my very special playgroup were also keen. Discussed, organized and brought to fruition in just one week. I am vacillating between calling it a "Stitch n bitch"  or "The Sewing for Sanity Circle". It was so good for the sanity though.


 Not only was a sewing project started and completed in one sitting, there were cups of tea, consumption of muffins, ogling of Heather Bailey  fabrics at her online store and plenty of great chatting. And best of all we are making it a regular installation every fortnight. A big thanks to Tea for Evie for sharing her tutorial for this very simple and super cute pinwheel pincushion.

While we are sharing, I just read an entire book (thanks to the girls weekend away) and was very inspired. Feng Shui Nonna often turns up with random books for me, I'm not entirely sure if she was giving me a hint with this one.


For anyone who wants to lose weight ( and frankly, that would be just about every woman I know) this book is about eating the way the French do, and losing weight in the process. A lot of common sense but lots of little things that have resonated with me including undoing the habits of our childhood, taking the time to enjoy our meals and enjoying everything, just in teeny tiny portions.

And lastly, look what the oppie delivered this week. Yep, it's the "Powderpuff Playhouse" circa 1980, complete with working elevator. This one even flushed Roboboy out for  a play, he is an expert on outdoor furniture placement and finds parking cars inside bathrooms quite thrilling.



And the best bit of watching miss Liongirl play with this house is when she calls it a "Holly- heart" house- her version of " love heart" for some unknown reason.

15 comments:

  1. love the pin cuchions! what a great project for a craft club :)

    thanks for your opinion on the jeans over at my blog... i think im going with yellow :)

    Have a happy weekend - Kel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry. I need that book too and a vacation to France!! Love your pin cushion. And Stitch'n'Bitch for a sewing group is hilarious!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pin cushions Mel! Have always wanted to make one of those, thanks for the link! Love Liongirl's daywear, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing wonky about your pin cushions Mel, they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also vote for stitch's' bitch! How apt! I made one of those pincushions a while ago and have lost it. You reminded me to go look for it. The playhouse is of the same era was our 'Birdcage' House. Getting the furniture was a real bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can never have too many pincushions! It's super cute.
    How is the sewing machine going? I haven't even plugged mine in since we moved...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    how gorgeous are thes pin cushions. Something that I would love to be part of, a craft group.
    x
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that cushion and what fun to have a group of craftys together.Love your little playhouse what a score

    ReplyDelete
  9. where do you find such treasure? Hurray for your crafty group and thanks for the book tip xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a pincusion too!Your new craft group sounds fun and what a great find for little miss Liongirl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Mimi loved your Holly Heart house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your pin cushions, super cute!!! The Holly house brings back a ton of memories...my daughter used to play with them when she was a kid!!
    Have a great week!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pin cushions are gorgeous and the house find is brilliant! I would have loved that as a little girl. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pincushion looks perfect I have to say, I especially like your fun choice of fabric too. I like the sound of your craft group, it's nice to find crafty people to hang out with do a bit of making with and have a good chat. What a great find that Holly-heart house is, it looks like lots of fun for Liongirl. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh I do like those pin cushies, I just made my first ever one a couple of days ago! I like the sound of your new craft group too, if I lived a bit closer I'd join you. My playgroup mums look at me weird when I mention that I would like to craft outside of playgroup!! :)

    ReplyDelete