Sunday, October 30, 2011

Milk glass magic


A few weeks back, Legoman and I were lucky enough to have some time to explore the seaside suburb of Redcliffe, sans children. We had a long ocean view lunch and then took our time exploring some of the second hand stores and all the op shops we could find. I found a few bits and bobs, but nothing amazing. And then in very last oppie on the list, the Sandgate Salvos, I stumbled onto not one but two gorgeous pieces of milkglass. The bowl was $8 and the vase was $6. I was grinning from ear to ear all the way home to my corella pears.

I already showed you this other piece I also found recently, so it really was milk glass month for me. I am working my way towards a lovely little collection and  when my MIL  saw it the other day it got her thinking.  She might have a cake plate squirrelled away somewhere in her very crowded cupboards. I can't even begin to think about it.


And then at our local weekend markets, this pyrex just popped up. And when I casually asked if it had a lid, she dropped the price to $6. Straight into the trolley dolly, yep move those eggs right over.


In thanks to the op shop gods I have been vigorously decluttering and readying bags of clothes for friends with younger children and toys for our local childcare. Who knows what will show up next?

Linking up with Sophie to share the thrifted joy.

16 comments:

  1. I have milk glass envy;) What beautiful finds and that cake plate, very lovely indeed. You did really well with you op shopping this week:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cake plate. I don't think I've ever seen milk glass when thrifting - I'm in England. Hope your MIL finds the cake plate for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your milk glass collection is getting there, isn't it? A day opping without children sounds pretty good to me too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats what i love about op-shopping..you never know what you're going to find, and you sure came across some beauties in those milkglass pieces and pyrex. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice miss!! Sounds as though you are starting to get in some well-deserved small-person free time. Hope you are all still enjoying good health :) Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Op shop karma is paying off at your place big time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice glass finds. I love your blog header, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always nice (and smart!) to thank the op-shop gods, hope they heard you...
    I love your milk glass bits, hope you keep finding more to add to your collection x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alrighty, I'm going to have to come opshopping with you one day because all I ever find is over priced rubbish!
    Love the milk glass!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely finds! that vase is just waiting for a pale pink peony! love the mustard pyrex too. loveliness all round. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! Pyrex and vintage glass in one hit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooohh lucky you! Super finds. Pyrex looks like it's in great condition too. How cute your littlies look in their halloween getup:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are beautiful! that mustard of the pyrex is currently my favourite colour :) i don't seem to have much luck with pyrex or milk glass but it is always on my ever growing 'op shop list'!

    Kel x

    p.s - good luck with the vintage dress bribery :) would love to see some pics if it is successful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny. I just left you a comment about your last post on milk glass and I now see that we have the EXACT SAME bowl. :)
    D
    x

    ReplyDelete